Leadership with Humanity
Updated: Jun 6, 2022
The times we are currently living in have forced us all to slow down, but they are a unique opportunity to take a step back and reflect on what kind of professional or leader we are and want to be.
When I look back on my own career, I find many mistakes, and many opportunities for change. In the end I summarized my reflections in what I call Leadership with Humanity reminders:
1. You are not born a leader; you have to build yourself with experiences and guidance from people that surround you.
2. Make Empathy an action not just a nice word to describe yourself.
3. Lead from the back, so you make sure no one is left behind.
4. Share your knowledge so you can learn from others.
5. Ask everyone to imagine the best they can be, then work with them to make it a reality.
6. Do good things, not because it is expected from you, but because is the right thing to do.
7. When you fail, learn, rethink your goal, and try again.
8. When people fail, ask them what they learned, challenge them to rethink their goals, and stand with them when they try again.
9. Don’t ask people to earn your trust, give it all and ask them to trust you.
10. Don’t look for people to further your career, look for people you can help to improve theirs.
11. When you feel alone do not ask for company, but rather find who needs yours.
12. Remember the workplace is a community of people first and workers second.
13. Success is what you accomplish as an individual, but happiness is what you accomplish with others.